Tuesday 28 July 2015

COMMUNION OF FRIENDS

The Holy Bible says, “For everyone who asks will receive, and he who seeks will find;  and the door will be opened to anyone who knocks.” (Luke 11:10)

Jesus said to his disciples, “Suppose one of you should go to a friend’s house at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, let me borrow three loaves of bread. A friend of mine who is on a journey has just come to my house, and I haven’t got any food for him!’ And suppose your friend should answer from inside, ‘Don’t bother me! The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’  Well, what then? I tell you that even if he will not get up and give you the bread because you are his friend, yet he will get up and give you everything you need because you are not ashamed to keep on asking.’
(Luke 11:5-8)

Let us meditate on this parable:
At midnight the arrival of an unexpected friend, made the host slight discomfort since there was not enough food to serve him. The host is hurriedly rushing to his neighbor who is a good friend for his need and knocking confidently on his door.
After initial refusals stating some reasons, the neighbor friend gets up and helps his friend who is in need.

The Lord through this parable mentions three individuals to his disciples so as to describe to us the meaningful prayer that the Lord taught us.

The one who is asleep, represent the Heavenly Father. The host signifies Lord Jesus the Mediator and the traveler indicates us.  Here the Lord explains the relation between God and Man in a different manner.

When we pray to Abba father, Lord Jesus always mediates on our behalf.
“For there is one God and one mediator, between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” (1 Tim.2:5)
He teaches us that we can approach God as a friend at anytime and at any occasion.
“The Lord would speak with Moses face to face, just as a man speaks with a friend.” (Exodus 33:11)

The Old Testament refers Moses and Abraham as ‘friend.’
In New Testament, Lord Jesus often referred to his disciples and devotees and addressed them as ‘my friend.’

“The greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them. And you are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because a servant does not know what his master is doing. Instead I call you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.” (John 15:13-15)

When we love each other, we have become God’s friends and then Father will give us whatever we ask! Amen!

Through this parable Lord gives us an invitation to love God as a friend and a wonderful message that prayer is an expression of our emotion of love.
1 Cor.13, teaches us that love is freedom, joy, submission etc..
When we share our sorrows or joy, it brings along the bright light of comforting love.

The outline of the parable teaches us that prayer should never be considered as a ritual concept or a traditional custom which is uninteresting and tedious to practice. Prayer ought to be a communication with God which something He is never tired of.

Repeated knocking shows the depth of our relationship with God.

 Confidence blossoming from the deep rooted love they have for each other is very clear. Therefore the word ‘disturbance’ has no importance at all.
The Bible describes that true friends never keep his anger.

Last but not the least, there is one more important teaching hidden in this parable.
We read that the host is asking his friend for three loaves of bread, which he receives and secondly the mediator is interceding for his friend who is in hunger.
This sentence teaches us the accuracy of prayer. An open and frank heart is essential for a fruitful relationship. The clarity while speaking to your friend also gets noticed. The prayer taught by our Lord Jesus has crystal clear accuracy in short perfection and the treasure hold. 

Your intention of a soaking prayer should make you grow in mutual love of God and man. If you pray for evil desires and selfish motives God may not answer.

“And when you ask, you do not receive it, because your motives are bad; you ask for things to use for your own pleasures.” (James 4: 3)

Above verse from the Holy Scriptures instructs us we should not continue or remain in such prayers which arise from our selfishness but persuade ourselves and be quick to change our intentions.

One of the greatest gifts we can give each other is the gift of prayer. Intercessory prayer is the expression to God’s command to “Love one another.”

“First of all then, I urge that petitions, prayers, requests and thanksgiving be offered to God for all the people.” (1Tim.2:1)

Let us conclude with a testimony:
I had been in Mumbai to help my friend who underwent a surgery on the palm. During the course of my stay, I heard about KLWC prayer and had the opportunity to attend this marvelous intercessory prayer regularly every Saturday for a year. During my days in Kuwait, I had experienced the Holy Spirit but was unable to enliven the experience due to the situations of my life.

I appreciate the praise and worship of KLWC which is filled with heavenly power and sanctity of the Holy Spirit which infuses life into me.
During the Praise and Worship, when I lifted my hands and said ‘Alleluia’, tears began to overflow from my eyes and I could experience a current flowing through my hands. I attained peace, courage; the Lord’s loving mercy and gift of forgiveness, which enabled me to total deliverance.

The active and alive Word of God proclaimed every Saturday began to heal me physically and mentally. Myself, a mother of two children, was addicted to chain smoking and would be annoyed at the very instance someone would advice me against it.
But when the Word of God pierced through my ears right into my heart, the Lord gave me the grace to reject everything which was displeasing Him and it broke every chain of evil habits that had enslaved me and healing me from chronic diseases.

“Confess your sins and turn towards the right path. Wash off the sin from your heart, if you do these, you will get well.” (Sirach)

I was suffering from asthma for the past 8 years and for 10 years was subjected to severe pain from corns in the feet. The merciful Lord called out my name and healed me during a Saturday service.
I will admire the works of My God and proclaim His mighty deeds. It is the life giving Word of God and the intercessory prayers of anointed Sister that healed me. Praise the Lord!!
                                                -----Archived from Nov’1994 Issue, LWE 2000


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Blessed shall be when you enter & blessed shall be when you go out"