Saturday 9 January 2016


THE PHILOSOPHER’S EXPERIENCE

I decided to enjoy myself and find out what happiness is.  But I found that this is useless, too.  I discovered that laughter is foolish, that pleasure lets does you no good.  Driven on my desire for wisdom, I  decided to cheer myself up with wine and have a good time.  I thought that this might be the best way people can spend their short life on earth.

I accomplished great things, I built myself houses and planted vineyards.  I planted gardens and orchids, with all kinds of fruit-trees in them; I dug ponds to irrigate them.   I brought many slaves, and there were slaves born in my household.   I owned more life stock than anyone else who had ever lived in Jerusalem.   I also piled up silver and gold from the royal treasuries of the lands I ruled.  Men and women sang to entertain me, and I had all the women a man could want.

Yes, I was great, greater than anyone else who had ever lived in Jerusalem and my wisdom never failed me.  Anything I wanted, I got.  I did not deny myself any pleasure.   I was proud of everything I  had worked for,  and all this was my reward.   Then I  thought about all that I  have done and how hard I  have worked doing it,  and I  realized that it didn't mean a thing.  It was like chasing the wind-of no use at all.  After all, a king can only do what previous kings have done. 

So I started thinking about what it meant to be wise or reckless, or foolish.  Oh, I know, “Wisdom is better than foolishness, just as light is better than from darkness. Wise men can see where they are going, and fools cannot.”
(Ecclesiastes 2:1-14)


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Blessed shall be when you enter & blessed shall be when you go out"